Wednesday, 21 April 2010
My Grandaughter's bonnet.
My sewing class recommenced on Monday night so I took along a little project I'd been working on and off over Easter. It is a bonnet for my grandaughter's baptism which is taking place in a couple of weeks.
I used a McCalls pattern , no 4478 as seen in the photo, and copied the design at the top right of the picture. I say copy , as it was loosely copied--- I made a few alterations.
I wanted a 'smocked' look and as I am not very neat in that area I let my machine do the work. The main body or crown I cut 3 times the recommended length and gathered it firstly on the machine about 3 inches from where I wanted the brim to be placed . Then the machine did some rather loosely called 'smocking' stitches. After that I added a row of beads all around and then stitched some randomly around the crown . The brim is doubled to accentuate the fullness and I finished by adding beads to the ribbon ties.
I am thrilled with it and I'm sure she will look lovely. Photos will follow of the 'big' day nearer the time.