The First Post

A warm welcome to readers of this blog. This is something completely new to me. I hope it goes well and I don't bore people. My aim is to blog about books and poetry.



I love the Bronte novels, although I haven't read them all(Wuthering Heights is missing from my list) . It was travelling to visit my daughter a few years ago that I came across a copy of Agnes Grey, and I was hooked. Governesses and contempt of the poor in Victorian society are shown in these pages. The main character 'haunted ' me for quite a while. So after 'Agnes' came Villette, The Professor, Shirley and then the famous Jane Eyre.

This book is a masterpiece imho . I have also watched it on screen , with Zelah Clarke and Timothy Dalton in the title roles and their characterization I felt was wonderful.

A theme running through some of the novels is the main character's longing for a home, with this in mind I came across a poem by Anne Bronte(Acton, The Works of The Bronte Sisters) titled , simply 'Home'.



The last 2 verses are very poignant I think...



'Restore to me that little spot,
With grey walls compassed round,
Where knotted grass neglected lies,
And weeds usurp the ground.
Though all around this mansion high
Invites the foot to roam,
And though its halls are fair within ---
Oh, give me back my HOME!'
How can I follow that . Please give me some feedback if you wish, I'd be happy to hear from you. Thanks for dropping by!











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Amy's Quilt Festival.

Teaser Tuesdays

Booking through Thursday