Christmas cooking.


These last few days have seen me toiling over a hot stove, well not really, but I did get all my Christmas puddings cooked. There were three in all , one for each of my daughters away from home and one for this household.
I use a recipes that belonged to my husband's grandma and it usually turns out well, so 'fingers crossed'!.

I thought I would share it with you ----

Dark Christmas Pudding.
This recipe is for a 2pint basin

4ozs. sultanas
4ozs currants
4 ozs seedless raisins
2 ozs mixed peel
4 ozs soft dark brown sugar
4 ozs fresh white breadcrumbs
4 ozs cooking apples(after, peeling and grating)
3 ozs shredded suet(vegetable)
3ozs self raising flour
1 quarter teasp. salt
1 half teasp. cinnamon
1 teasp. mixed spice
1 large egg
1 quarter pint of milk and rum mixed
1 level teasp. of black treacle.

In a large bowl mix all dry ingredients, add the apple.
Bind the mixture with the egg, rum and milk mixture then add another small glass of rum.
Beat well till fairly wet and sticky.
Steam for about 5 hours in a 2pint basin.

Between now and Christmas I will 'doctor' the pudding by brushing the top with rum and then recover each week.
On Christmas day itself I usually reheat by steaming for another hour till piping hot.

Comments

She said…
If it looks like the picture than it must be delicious!
Jenny Girl said…
So this is what English pudding looks like and is? I had no idea. It looks delicious. Yummy! Enjoy.

Popular posts from this blog

Amy's Quilt Festival.

Teaser Tuesdays

Booking through Thursday