The Sunday Salon




This week we had a visit from my youngest daughter. She lives near Cambridge and works in the city itself. There had been a book fair in the centre a couple of weeks ago and she bought me the trilogy , 'Larkrise to Candleford' by Flora Thompson.
This is a new read for me although I have watched adaptions on BBC . The first few programmes were quite good but after that I lost interest , I sometimes think tv producers bring modern 'talk' and values onto our screens , when imho they don't fit into the context of the setting. So I am really pleased to get the book, it is small measuring abot 6 inches by 3 inches with 600+ pages, a 'handbag' size.
As this is 'The World Classics' editon I am presuming it was the reprint from 1963. There are no dates shown, other than the dates shown in the photo. I'm savouring this book,reading a little each day. It appears to be a good social history of the time. Being set around village life in 1870s and 1880s there is much detail of the countryside and farming. As a farmer's wife myself I find this aspect fascinating. Although the village inhabitants are poor in monetary terms they are self-sufficient to a certain respect.


Throughout this week I have 'dropped-in' on a new history blog, one dedicated to Jean Plaidy. As I am starting reading one of her
novels I was keen to browse it's contents.In last weeksSunday Salon post I remembered my introduction to Jean Plaidy many years ago.
Well,'Royal Intrigue' is a wealth of information for Plaidy fans and there's a challenge too.Do check it out , all you history fans. I know I will HAVE to sign in for the challenge!
Hope you all have a good week.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I loved Lark Rise - you're making me want to read it again. I tried one episode of the BBC version but was disappointed - I agree with what you say about bringing in modern talk etc. Now back to reading The Gargoyle - btw, I answered your question on my blog.
Yvonne said…
That sounds like a wonderful book. Enjoy it!

Have a great week!
Anonymous said…
What an attractive little book! It sounds like a good read, too.

I enjoyed this informative post.
Kristen said…
This looks like a scrumptious little book. I'll have to dig around on it a bit more!

Popular posts from this blog

Amy's Quilt Festival.

Teaser Tuesdays