Booking through Thursday

This is today's discussion ----

But, enough about books … Other things have words, too, right? Like … songs!

If you’re anything like me, there are songs that you love because of their lyrics; writers you admire because their songs have depth, meaning, or just a sheer playfulness that has nothing to do with the tunes.

So, today’s question?

What songs … either specific songs, or songs in general by a specific group or writer … have words that you love?
Why?
And … do the tunes that go with the fantastic lyrics live up to them?
You don’t have to restrict yourself to modern songsters, either … anyone who wants to pick Gilbert & Sullivan, for example, is just fine with me. Lerner & Loewe? Steven Sondheim? Barenaked Ladies? Fountains of Wayne? The Beatles? Anyone at all…


Thinking back over the years, when I was a teenager my favourites were anything by The Bachelors, I had all their records (L.P.'s), I still have them and take a trip down memory lane once in a while. I also liked 'Music to Watch Girls by', I think Andy Williams sang that one.
During the teenage years these songs were a great escape from a very unhappy school life.

As the years have passed I enjoy music from the movies , in particular I LOVE all the songs from Lionel Bart's 'Oliver'. This was highlighted for me a few years ago when my daughter played the part of 'Nancy' in a school play. The songs were heard around the house 24/7 !!!!

Music that I have been listening to lately is from a C.D by 'The Priests' , their version of 'Ave Maria' is beautiful, very uplifting.

Comments

Barbara said…
"I Dreamed a Dream" from Les Miserables has to be near the top.
Cry everytime.

I too am enjoying The Priests.
Anonymous said…
Ava Maria has to be one of the most beautiful songs ever written.

Popular posts from this blog

Amy's Quilt Festival.

Teaser Tuesdays

Booking through Thursday